Holla at a Balla

So after my show at UC Riverside's Spring Splash, I was in a bit of a rut art-wise. I went from racing to get my magazine sloths finished in a van headed for campus to twiddling my thumbs in my messy studio. Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego sent me an email (no, not personally, but as part of their mailing list) about a showcase of artists under 25. I figured this was up my alley because I am an artist and under 25 (duh). I also figured strategically speaking I had a good shot at placing since I make large scale sculptures that tend to make a big statement even if they are kinda shoddy. Not that I intended to make a shoddy sculpture, but a large clumsy sculpture will be more interesting to look at than a 2-D clumsy drawing. (Not that I intended to make a clumsy sculpture.) I'm really not getting myself anywhere, am I?


Flyer for the Greedy Organ Contest

So the theme of the contest was "The Greedy Organ", which according to MCASD is our eye. Being Lori, I decided to make a cute, but creepy character out of garbage and call it good. Here's my entry in action at the showcase.







So I left out a major part of this story - Eeerrrrr REWIND. In order to be one of the final finalists, I needed to be in the top three as determined by voting on Facebook. I'm not one to ask people to do things for me. I'm not one to really like talking about my art (it makes me sweaty). My name on Facebook certainly isn't my real name to minimize how many bozos I'm friends with. You get the drift, voting on FB wasn't really up my alley, but when you want something, you want something. I campaigned via FB, text, email, twitter and in person arm twisting. I campaigned like a fiend. I got my mom involved and she got her MK ladies involved. I have to say, I actually can't believe how much support I got. I really can't. It was overwhelming how hard everyone rooted for me and I don't even know how to properly say thank you. So if you're reading this- thank you. For reals and from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

With the help from everyone I am within four degrees of knowing, I made it to the top three finalists. From there, a panel within MCASD placed the final three. And holla at a balla because I was named the





0 comments:

Post a Comment